RIPEA's Mission StatementImprove the quality of life of our members by protecting and enhancing their retirement benefit, provide group insurance for members, be a facilitator of information for members, and act as a medium of communication to Legislative and Executive Branches of Government as well as PERF employers.
RIPEA, acronym for Retired Indiana Public Employees Association, is a not-for-profit corporation created by 1972 Indiana Legislature. RIPEA was the idea of H. B. Shepherd, longtime director of PERF, who believed PERF retirees needed a not-for-profit corporation to represent their interests. The Indiana Legislature agreed and created RIPEA in 1972.
RIPEA is governed by a board of directors comprised of retirees and active employee members of PERF. Due to the fact the board members are also retirees they understand the needs and desires of the retirees. Brief biographical sketches of each board member is included on this site.
All retirees of PERF receive the benefits of the work done by RIPEA and should be RIPEA members. There are over 44,000 RIPEA members.
The Board of Directors in 2006 expanded RIPEA's focus to include representing active employees of PERF. This effort includes sponsoring Legislation that will improve the retirement benefits of active employees.
RIPEA's activities include:
- Publishes a quarterly newsletter distributed solely to RIPEA members. The newsletter keeps retirees informed on matters of interest to them.
- Sponsors a group health insurance plan for retirees and/or spouses age 65 and older covered by Medicare A & B. This is an excellent insurance plan that has been negotiated by an experienced insurance consultant retained by RIPEA. The premium for this coverage can be deducted from the retiree's PERF check.
- Make available a group long-term health care plan for members that protects the retiree from potential exorbitant costs for nursing home care.
- Makes available a stand-alone dental plan through Ameritas.
- Makes available a vision plan through VSP.
- Makes available a hearing plan through HEAR IN AMERICA Hearing Plans.
- Represent PERF retirees and active employees with the Indiana Legislature. A long time lobbyist, paid by RIPEA, provides Legislative representation. These efforts have resulted in annual cost-of living increases and/or a 13th check for retirees.
RIPEA is totally supported by the membership dues paid by members. The organization receives no tax dollars. The dues are $18.00 per year. However, there are two ways to pay your membership dues for only $15.00 per year. They are:
- Have your membership dues [$15.00] deducted from your January PERF check each year. To do this call the RIPEA office.
- Have your membership dues [$15.00] automatically charged to your credit or debit card each year by joining or renewing online and choosing the option to "Set Up Recurring Payments".
Your support is encouraged, and we are confident you will be pleased with the benefits of being a RIPEA member.